Skip to main content

Priorities

Saying “no” to another project on your plate takes grace and tact. If your boss comes up to you and asks you to work on a new project or task and you’re already working at capacity., what do you do? Ernie Humphrey wrote a blog article called “Saying No to Your Boss”. In the article he gives five approaches an employee can take to say no without coming out and saying no.

Be sure to read the article if you have not done so. What I will be doing is taking each of the approaches and dissecting it a bit and also looking at it from the perspective of the boss (leader).
The first approach as Mr. Humphrey says is “Level set a request into your current set of priorities”. What this means is to compare that request with the other items on your plate and see how it fits in. If it won’t fit, address this issue with your boss. What happens if your boss says “well you will have to make it work”. Then you might have to move on to the second approach to saying no.
From a leadership perspective if you have a person who comes to you with the idea that if they work on this new project the current one you want them to do may suffer. How will you handle that? Will you tell them they will have to make it work? A true leader won’t do that. A true leader will take what the person says and do one or more of the following.
  • Work with them to see how it can fit into their priority schedule.
  • Give them a generous time lines and see if that works for them. If necessary work with them on a timeline.
  • Table the project for a short while until the person is ready to assume the task. Make sure you know when they will be done with their current task.
  • Ask them for ideas on who on the team would be a good person to take ownership of the project and then make sure that person is still involved but to a lesser degree.

A true leader will embrace the fact that this person understands their limitations and doesn’t want any work to suffer. That leader will work with them to make sure everything is done and done successfully.
A leader shouldn’t look at it as a no but look at it as an opportunity, an opportunity to work with your people to strengthen them and bond with them on a project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...