Skip to main content

"Dutch" Leadership


Today is my first entry into my Leadership Legends group. I thought of trying to avoid politics because that is easy pickings because you have a lot of people to choose from.  However my first entry is from the world of politics and also from the world of entertainment. This person died 8 years ago yesterday at the age of 93. This man was the 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan.
How this series works is that I give you the person resume highlighting leadership roles they were in and then looking at accomplishments.
Resume:
·         Elected as Student body president at Eureka College

·         Served as President of the Screen Actors Guild

·         Climbed to the rank of Captian during World War II

·         Served as Governor of California

·         Served as President of the United States

Accomplishments:
·         Lead a student revolt against the college president when he tried to cut back the faculty.

·         Lead a group in making over 400 training films during World War II.

·         Lead the SAG through eventful years that were marked by labor management disputes.

·         While Governor he formulated much of his future ideals. Signed the Family Law Act

·         While President of the United States.

o   Supply side economics (reduced taxes, more production and less government)

o   The fall of the Berlin wall

o   Strategic Defense Initiative

o   The economy grew and Americans were prosperous

You may not be a Republican and maybe you didn’t like Reagan but you can see Leadership roles throughout his life. He made an impact in every role he was involved in. You too can be an impactful leader like Reagan. Stand up for your principles and captivate others with your personality. That is what makes Ronald Reagan a Leadership legend.
Photo and information courtesy of Wikipedia. If you know anyone who should be listed in my leadership legends hall of fame please let me know. I would love to send them interview questions and highlight them in my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...