Skip to main content

Festival Friday/Saturday

It is that time of year when counties all over the state of Minnesota start holding their county fairs. Today I am going to highlight a county from Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. These county fairs are your opportunity as a leader to relax, spend some time with your family and enjoy that typical fair fare.

Minnesota:
Anoka County Fair July 24th - 29th

Anoka County Fair: This is the county I live in and believe it or not I have never been to this county fair. Fairs are a fun place to eat, people watch, listen to music and show off your prized sow. The Anoka county fair has a lot to offer. To see what it is all about please follow the link to the Anoka County Fair

South Dakota:
Brown County Fair August 13th - 19th

Aberdeen is in Brown County and growing up I spent many summers and Thanksgivings visiting my relatives in Groton, which is only 20 miles from Aberdeen. actually went to this county fair where it is and my relatives may have spent some time at this county fair is why I am highlighting it. Some things to do at the Brown county fair are to watch the stock car races, enjoy a demolition derby (I love those) and of course listen to music and eat. See more about this fair by link to the Brown County Fair.

Wisconsin:
Pierce County Fair August 9th - 12th

River Falls lies within Pierce county and I again have relatives who live in River Falls. That is why I am highlighting this county fair. I visit River Falls almost every 4th of July and my wife attended the University of Wisconsin River Falls. What can you do at the Pierce County fair? Music, Food, Truck and Tractor pull as well as a demolition derby are just a number of the things you can do at the Pierce County Fair. Visit the Pierce County Fair web page for more information.

It is county fair season and I hope you find a county fair to your liking. Go ahead and enjoy the local fare and the local people. Relax and get away from the leadership rat race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...