Skip to main content

Schmoozing


In the business world people often talk about schmoozing and making sure you are saying the right things to the right people. However did you know that schmoozing actually carries a negative definition? According to Merriam Webster the definition is "to chat in a friendly and persuasive manner especially so as to gain favor, business, or connections". You might be saying that doesn't sound too negative? If you read the words closely you see that you are chatting with someone in a manner that is persuasive to gain favor. This means that the person schmoozing really doesn’t care about the person they are speaking to. All they are caring is that they can be nice enough to the person to convince them to do something for them. 

This is a sure sign of selfish leadership. The person is schmoozing just to gain something for themselves. They aren’t really interested in being friendly or helping the other person they are only interested in what that person can do for them. 

Selfish leadership is truly poor leadership because it isn’t about the leader it is about the people you are leading. Schmoozing will get you nowhere as a leader because eventually people will realize the game you are playing and will be unwilling to work with you or speak with you. 

If you really want to talk to someone and gain something from them be sincere in your dealing with them. Stop feigning empathy and start treating people like people and show them true empathy when you talk to them. If you do this they will more than likely be your friend for life and will want to deal with you from a business perspective.  

Stop schmoozing and start caring.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...