Skip to main content

Personality Power


What type of personality do you have? What type of personality does your leader have? Have you ever been in a situation in which your personality clashes with the personality of your boss? Maybe there is something about you that your boss doesn’t like. Our fourth trait of a selfish leader according to the article “What Makes a True Leader” by JeroldAust is playing to personalities. This trait ties together with number three, playing favorites. Often times leaders click with someone’s personality and they end up showing favorites to that person.
There is another aspect of this trait and that is when the leader seeks power for selfish reason. They will seek out other leaders who might be in a position of greater influence in order to eventually gain more power for themselves. You may have seen this in someone who is give a position of leadership and all of a sudden they ignore those they used to work with because they perceive them as below them. They instead seek out other leaders and you will see them hanging out and trying to fit into the leader circles.
If you want to be a true leader you don’t need to only hang out with other leaders. In fact you want to make a point to continue building those relationships with those you worked with or those in lesser positions. Here is why.
  • One day you will need those people to help you with something. They will be less apt to help or to do a good job if you have alienated them.
  • People talk. Ignoring some to obtain power for yourself will be noticed and people will say you have changed.
  • If you want to move forward in your leadership and grow you have to look behind. Your future happens because of what happened in the past. The past for your future is now so make the most of it by not burning any bridges.
  • Be a servant leader. Servant leaders care about others above themselves and they are unselfish. You will find more success in serving as a leader then seeking power. Eventually the power will go out and you will crash and no one will be there to catch you.

Stop seeking the power personalities and start being yourself and serving those around you. It is then others will see true leadership in you and not selfish leadership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...