Skip to main content

Politics


I am examining the seven common missteps of selfish leadership as identified in the article “What Makes a True Leader” written by Jerold Aust from “The Good News” magazine. We looked at the first misstep which was schmoozing.
The second aspect of a selfish leader is Politics. As in schmoozing you might wonder why politics is bad. Politics is bad for a number of reasons.
  • Politics is self serving. Many people who practice politics say what people what to hear so they can be voted into an office.
  • Politics can be described as another way to schmooze. A person may want something so they play the game to get what they want.
  • Politics can also become a series of mud slinging in which a person will say negative things to bring the other person down.

Think about our Presidential campaigns. Think about how negative they become. That is politics they want to earn the votes for that office so they try their hardest to shed negative light on their opponent.
They really should be talking the issues and what each person plans to do. Then if they say they plan to do that to stick to their word. True leadership isn’t about self serving politics it is really about what a leader can do for the people. Then sticking to their values and doing what they say they will do.
Let’s stop playing politics and start being true leaders and serve the people and not ourselves.

Comments

S. Knowles said…
Hi there, thank you so much for following my blog, makes me think there are people who actually know it exists. Thanks so much again.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...