Skip to main content

Who Can Be A Leader

We are looking at what is leadership, who can be a leader and why do we need leaders. I gave my opinion of those three things now we have been looking at what others say about each of those questions.

Today we are looking at who can be a leader.

From Odewire and an article by Johan Schaberg titled "Everyone Can Be a Leader"

Can you learn to lead? Yes. Simply stop not doing it. You have a life, start living it—that’s the beginning of all leadership. Determine which goals you are currently following. If you’re following egotistical goals, ask yourself whether it’s really necessary.

From Ryerson University:

Leadership process by taking the lead and thus becoming the leader regardless of title or position within the group. This involves “becoming a nonanxious part of the system, and refusing to be homogenized into its one-dimensional fusion” (1985, p. 173). To do this a person must be willing and able to take and hold a clear and decisive non-reactive position while maintaining contact with others in the emotional system.

From Netplaces:

  • You can learn to lead, even if you aren't a natural-born leader.
  • Use your personality traits to your advantage to make your leadership more effective.
  • To rally people to your cause, connect them to something greater than themselves as well as to their own sense of meaning.
  • By setting the right types of goals, you and the others working with you can energize your activities and achieve success.
You see, even from these examples it is apparent that anyone can be a leader. You can be a bad leader or a good leader that it for you to determine how.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...