Skip to main content

Humor Me

"Saying No to your Boss" can be a difficult task. It is almost easier to suck it up and do the work even if it means burning the midnight oil. Fortunately we have been given a good article written by Ernie Humphreys. He gives us five approaches we can take to say no without really saying no. I am looking at each of those approaches and looking at how leaders should react if they have an employee or a follower use one of these approaches.

Today I am combining the 4th and 5th approach. The fourth is “Let a task stew to see if it still remains relevant”. This approach is making a point of not saying anything but instead let the project or task sit for a while and see if your boss still remembers it. Sometimes bosses will think of something and then think out loud, not really assigning the task. If you leave it alone it may go away.
As a leader this is a harder approach to combat or embrace. It might be that you are serious about the task or maybe you were just thinking out loud. Here are some things you can do as a leader if confronted with this approach.
  • Let the task settle before bringing it up again. This way they know you were serious. 
  • Ask for a confirmation and completion date from the person.
  • Restate the task or project and briefly explain what role that person will play in the project.
  • Ask for their opinion of the project. This will get them talking and who knows you might find it is an off the wall idea.
  • The fifth approach is a good fit for the next bullet point. Use humor if tension is apparent. Humor should always be used by both sides. It helps cut through the tension and it helps each person be able to see clearly. It also allows each side to see the project for what it is worth, solid and worthy or crazy and unfounded.
Be a leader work with your people to make sure the project is clearly understood. I hope you have found this series helpful. Please share with me other leadership topics you would like to see discussed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...