Skip to main content

1950s Leadership

Have you been enjoying my leadership walk through the decades of the 20th century? We started in the 1920s and have compare leadership styles to the roaring 20s, the depression and dustbowl of the 30s and World War II of the 40s. Today we are going to look at the 50s.

The 1950s, the decade after World War II. The decade that saw the rise of communism and the cold war. The 1950s also saw the rise of rock and roll and the television. It also had its threats as America feared the threat of nuclear proliferation and a space race between Russia and America.

What do the fifties tell us about leadership? Some words come to mind when I think of the fifties, lasting innovation, competition and reactionary. The events that occurred in the 1950s were not all positive. The Korean war happened and the threats of communism and nuclear weapons also were evident. I want to focus on the positive aspects because I believe the negatives helped to make the positives stronger.

If you are a 1950s leader you thrive on competition, you want to be the first to reach those places that your company has never gone. You are also a leader who is on the cutting edge of innovation and that innovation will last and be improved upon throughout the years. You are also a leader who reacts to things in almost a quick or sudden fashion. You don't want to be left behind and you don't want your competitors to gain the upper hand.

Are you a 1950s leader? Do you have that cutting edge innovation like Steve Jobs. Look at how the television has improved since its inception in the early 50s? If you believe you are a fifties leader then grab a hold of your innovations and then lead the way into the next decade with some great ideas.

Thanks again to Wikipedia for the information and the picture.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...