Skip to main content

Making a Statement

It is time for step four in creating your leadership brand. Time to pull together the previous steps into one nicely stated leadership brand statement. If you are just joining my blog I suggest you go back a few days and read the other articles on creating a leadership brand.

I found a great article on the Harvard Business Review and I have been taking the time unpacking the article and adding my own insight into the steps necessary for creating a leadership brand.

In step two you decided how you wanted to be remembered. In step three you created some branding phrases that identified your brand. Step four is about creating that statement. That statement that sets you apart and shows other who you are and what you want to accomplish. The article says that it is time to take your phrases and combine them with what you want to accomplish over the next year.

How does this relate to company, customers and community? What you need to do is create a brand statement that speaks to the company, takes care of the customers and shows support for the community. You could even create three brand statements one aimed at the company one at the customers and a third at the community. Companies that have strong brands have statements that reach the customer, a separate one that is geared internally toward the company and the community.

The article then addresses the need to ask some questions. You want to make sure your statement is accurate and identifies you as who you are and what you want to accomplish.

Is it who you really are?

Don't make some pie in the sky statement that sounds good but is one that you could never live by. It is like an elevator speech and it is your turn to turn heads but be true to yourself.

Does it give value to the company, customers and community?

Make a statement!  Start building your brand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...