Skip to main content

Ransom Note

Servant leadership, the style that seems contrary to being a leader but the one that is the most satisfying for everyone involved. I started yesterday with a deeper dive into Servant leadership and specifically Jesus as the ultimate servant leader.

Today's verse:  Matthew 20:27-28

"And whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your slave-- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give His life a ransom for many."

These words were spoken by Jesus to his disciples. He was showing them that it is more important to serve than to be served. Another important aspect of servant leadership is that of the humble leader. The person who is willing to give it up for the people the person who is will to take a hit or pay the price to save those around them.

Leadership really isn't about being the best or the greatest. It isn't about lording over those around you or puffing up in pride to show how great a leader you are. On the contrary, leadership is about humbling yourself and being willing to go to bat for your people. Jesus ultimately gave His life so that we all could be saved. he paid the ransom note with his life instead of making us take the punishment for our sins.

Leaders in business need to realize that they are their to help the company be successful. If that means taking the heat for something your people did than so be it. Ultimately if you are a leader and you manage others you are responsible for their actions. If they mess up the leader should take responsibility and then make sure the person is properly trained.

Jesus was referring in this verse that those who really want to be great should serve others. Serving is the ultimate gesture to greatness. But serving must also be done with a humble heart and no ulterior motives.

Give your life a ransom for many and serve!!

Questions to ponder:

Who can I serve that will make them a better employee or person?

Do I desire greatness? What can I do to serve?

Lord help me be humble and have a servant attitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...