Skip to main content

What Are You Running For?

In life there are many things you can run for. You can run for an office, you can run for your life and you can run for your health. This weekend as you relax from running your business or department take some time to think of ways your can run that will relax you.

Once you figure out what you want to run for spend sometime this weekend doing so. It is a great way to relax and take your mind off of the leadership responsibilities you have at work.

I have been spending some time looking at two things I want to run for. Sure might think the first one really isn't a break from leadership and you would be right. The difference is that it is a hobby of mine but it also helps me to improve my leadership.

I spent this morning at the District 6 Toastmasters Convention. I spent it there as a candidate for a Division governor position. I decided to run for an office. How it works at the convention is quite the experience. You spend some time in the candidates forum answering questions supplied by the audience. Then during the business meeting if the office you seek is contested you must give a 2 minute speech on why you should be voted in. It was a great experience and I probably will run again. I didn't win this time.

Now on to the next thing I am thinking of running for. At work we are starting a program called couch to 5k in 8 weeks. To get in shape I am considering participating in this and then after 8 weeks I will be able to run a 5k, gulp!

My question to all of you on this weekend of leisureship. What are you running for? Find it and run with it. Most of all get the support and encouragement of those around you. Hopefully once you decide what it is you are running for you will find it is relaxing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...