Skip to main content

Identity not a Crisis

Are you having difficulty determining who you are as a leader? Do you find yourself being wishy-washy on your strengths and weaknesses? If you want others to take you seriously as a leader you have to create a Leadership Brand. You need to become recognizable as a leader, a household name, someone that people know to go to for your strengths.

I have been discussing this great article on leadership branding found at the Harvard Business Review. Go ahead and read it, I'll wait!

Now that you have read it we can discuss. I am taking each step each day and looking at them a little closer. I am also putting on my special twist to each step. Now that you have determined what it is you want to be known for hose together to really create for yourself your leadership identity.

Your leadership identity should be something that is exclusive to you. When others read it they will be able to recognize who it is. Just like products that have a brand you can tell what it is by what the product does.

I am defining each step with regard to the three Cs, company, customer and community. Your identity should be no different. You determined within each C how you want to be remembered now craft an identity to support what you want to do.

  • Company - Look at the company's core values, do they match your core values? this would be a good time to match your values or identity with that of your company's. What you want to be known for within the circle start to create your identity from there along with the values of the company.
  • Customers - What do you want to be remembered for from your customers? Start to create your identity around that legacy you will leave. To create this identity you should come up with two words under each of these Cs. Maybe under customers you came up with integrity and faithful.
  • Community - Your co-workers and employees also need two words to identify yourself with them. It is possible that one of the things you wanted to be remembered for challenges you as a person. Make sure that gets in your identity because it will help your leadership brand.

You now should have about six words that will define your identity. As in the article go ahead and put them into two word phrases.

Don't have a crisis you can do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...