Skip to main content

Walk the Talk

Now that you have created your branding statement it is time to live that statement. This week we have been looking at the five steps to creating a leadership brand. It is an article found at the Harvard Business Review. It is a great article that lays out the steps in a clearly defined fashion. I suggest you read it if you haven't done so. Then go back to my blogs over the past week and read my analysis and insight into leadership branding.

We are on the final step today. Make your brand real is the final step. It is taking steps 1-4 and living it out. Making sure that you are following through on your statements.

Step five is all about walking the talk. You said what you were going to accomplish now go ahead and do it. Have you ever had someone say they were going to do something for you but then they never followed through with completion. How did that make you feel? How did it affect your perception of that person? Do what you say you are going to do and live up to the expectations of your leadership brand.

Let's take a look at step five in relation to company, customer and community.

  • Company - If you take your leadership brand statement that you created as it applies to your company and make sure you live out your brand statement your company will take notice. If you make changes and innovatively create something your company will appreciate you. If you want more responsibility, or more pay walk the talk when it comes to your brand statement.
  • Customers - If you tell your customers you are going to do something then do it. It will go along way toward the retention of those customers and when word gets out new customers will come. In a line from Field of Dreams; "If you do it they will come" I made a slight change. But if you walk the talk your customers will take notice.
  • Community - Those co-workers or employees want to know that they can depend upon you. If you create a brand statement that reaches out to the community then walk the talk. Live that statement out and your employees and co-workers will love working for you and with you because they will know that you are a person of your word.

Now that you have that brand statement, go out and tell others who you are by walking the talking and living up to your brand statement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...