Skip to main content

Rained Out


I was supposed to spend this morning at my sons first tee ball game. I am serving as the assistant coach and I am very excited about the season. Today they were also going to kick-off the season with a parade of teams for all of the Coon Rapids Little League teams. None of it happened, rain and cold cancelled the parade and the ball game. The first game is scheduled for tomorrow and the parade for next Saturday.

It got me thinking, since it is a weekend we want to look at what I call leisureship, ways for leaders to relax and do something different than their normal leadership routine. Volunteering is a great way to do something different than your normal leadership routine.

Volunteering can take on the role of being a leader but there are many ways to just volunteer and not take a leadership role. Volunteering is a great way to spend your weekend or even your weeknights. What are you passionate about? Do you have a heart for the homeless? Do you have a hunger for the poor? Maybe you enjoy working with youth or the elderly? There are many opportunities to volunteer your time.

Here are some volunteer opportunities. Maybe one of these will tug at your volunteer heart. If not there are plenty more.

· Coach a youth sports team.
· Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
· Take part in feed my starving children.
· Sponsor a child in another country.
· Volunteer at your child's school.
· Volunteer at a nursing home.
· Help at the Humane Society.
· Volunteer your time at your church.

For more visit this site "Volunteers of America" and find a local office or just do a Google search of volunteer opportunities in your community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...