Skip to main content

1960s Leadership


The Sixties!

One of the most controversial decades and one that also changed the face of life as we knew it. It was the decade of free love, hippies, drugs, assasinations, space, war, civil rights, and anti-establishment. Quite a bit happened in the sixties that shaped the way society and the world thought. No longer were we in the picturesque America of the 1950s.

Civil rights became a prominent feature during the sixties and it helped pave the way for equal rights for minorities and women. Great leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. were able to rally thousands of people to follow their dream of freedom and equality. MLK's life was cut short in an assassination but the work he did for civil rights paved the way for history some 40 years later when America voted in the first African American President.

There were anti-war demonstrations, feminism demonstrations and civil rights marches, all in the name of Freedom. Everyone had a cause that they wanted to stand up for and believe in. People were no longer going to accept life as it was, they wanted change.

If you are a sixties leader, what kind of leader are you? A sixites leader is an agent of change. They are someone who doesn't want to stay with the status quo. They want change and they are willing to lead and inspire groups of people to follow their dream. The sixties leader is also very innovative and is on the cutting edge of greatness. In the early sixties JFK said we would land a man on the moon and in 1969 America landed the first man on the moon. True innovation is being able to deliver when and what you say you will deliver.

The sixties leader is also controversial. They aren't going with the norm and thus can tend to make waves and cause a lot of eyebrows to be raised. The sixties leader with their power can capture the imagination of a company and ride the enthusiasm to greatness.

The sixties leader is charismatic. Do you have the charisma to be a sixties leader? Peace, love and lead.

Thanks to Wikipedia as a reference for the picture and the sixties content.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...