Skip to main content

In Memory and Honor


Memorial Day is more than just the official kick off to summer. In fact it is the time to recognize those who served those who gave their life and those who fought for our freedom.
How many of you today will spend your time remembering a loved one who served and making sure you thank those who are still around for giving their time to serve our country.
My father served in World War II. He was fortunate to not have to serve in combat but instead served in northern Africa in the Army Air Corps. He was stationed at Khartoum Sudan and used to talk quite a bit about his time serving.  

Those who served away from the battle fray tend to talk more about their time in a positive light than those who were on the front lines.  Front lines or not we owe our freedom to all those who served.
My son-in-law is currently serving in the Army. He is currently located in Colorado and has in the past been deployed to Iran. I am very proud that he is working so hard to keep our country safe. All of our current service people deserve our gratitude. I know what a sacrifice it can be he has spent time away from my daughter (his wife) and put his life in danger during fire fights in Iran.
My brother-in-law (My sister’s husband) served in the Marines. My Father-in-law served during veitnam and I have many uncles who have also served.
Take time out today to thank a service man or woman for their sacrifice to our country. If you have loved ones who served who are passed away or died in battle spend some time remembering they put their life on the line for our freedom.
Thank you to all of you for serving!
In memory of my Father George Andersen, he didn’t die in battle but served nonetheless to help secure our freedom.

In honor of my son-in-law, Alan Guggisberg who is currently serving in the Army.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...