Skip to main content

In the Middle


I have been blogging about baseball and building a quality project team. We are in the middle of the infield. The shortstop is a key player on the infield. They tend to be your leader, directing the location of the other fielders and shouting words of encouragement.

The shortstop also plays a similar role as the second baseman. They are part of the double play team and they also take relays from the outfield. The shortstop also must have good range and an accurate arm to make that throw to first base.

As you build your project team you will have to recruit your shortstop. Try not to just get a second baseman and think they can play short. They are similar but there are some differences. Besides the similarities to a second baseman here are the qualities to look for in your project team shortstop.

  • Your shortstop must have leadership qualities – They would be the one you would look toward for running part of the project. They should have leader qualities.
  • The shortstop must be vocal – You need someone who can encourage and who will stand up for the integrity of the project.
  • The person must have good range – They are able to cover a lot of ground when it comes to the project. They can move quickly and do a good job at many of the roles in the project.
  • They must have an accurate arm – They need to be accurate in what they do. Having range and doing a lot of different roles isn’t any good if you can’t do them well.

Look throughout your company for that shortstop who can be a key player on your project team. They say in baseball that the strength of a team is evident by the middle of the field. If you have a strong shortstop, second baseman and catcher your project team will find success.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...