Skip to main content

Number 1

Looking out for numero uno! Sometimes this is the philosophy of many people. If you are a leader who has that mentality you may be doing yourself, your employees, and your company a big disservice. A leader really needs to have you first me second mentality. It really becomes an issue to make sure you are taking care of those around you before you take care of yourself. If you take care of those around you first you will actually be helping yourself. That may seem counter intuitive but it really works. When you only take care of yourself then people tend to resent you and not respect you. But if you are willing to help others you will find them helping you and doing what you ask this will in turn make you look better.

Here are some steps you can make to take care of number 1 by taking care of those around you first.

  • Listen - Listen to the needs of employees and co-workers.
  • Empower - Make sure your employees and co-workers have the ability to make decisions and follow through. Empower them with projects and tasks.
  • Encourage - Encourage those around you to spread their creative wings. Get them to think outside the box. This can even work in a concrete department like accounting.
  • Motivate - Give the words necessary to motivate those around you to reach beyond their goals, stretch their skills and get excited about what they do.
  • Communicate - Talk to them. Don't isolate yourself. No one is better than the next person so don't lord your leadership over anyone.

Follow these steps to taking care of those you lead and they will end up taking care of number 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...