Skip to main content

Quality Start


Possibly the most important player on a baseball team is the pitcher. The pitcher stands on the island (pitcher mound) throwing baseballs toward homeplate hoping to out smart the batter and get him/her out. There are three pitchers in baseball, starter, relief and closer. A closer is a relief pitcher but a specialist and within the area of relief pitching there are long relief and set-up.

How does this relate to leadership? As a leader you have to organize a group of people for a project. You need the best people for the project and people who can play specific roles. The pitcher on your team is an important player in that project. You need someone who is a good pitch person, someone who can deliver the information clearly and concisely. Someone who can give you a quality start to the project, or fill in if someone leaves the project. Maybe you need someone who can close the sale.

Let's look specifically at each pitching role and compare it with what you need on your project team.

v  Starting pitcher - The good starting pitcher is someone who can give you some innings over the course of the season and who can give you quality starts day in and day out.

o   Your project starting pitcher is your ace of the project. They will log the hours to get the project completed and they will give you quality work day in and day out.

v  Relief pitcher – A good relief pitcher is one who can give it all they got for 1 or 2 innings to stop or prevent more runs from occurring.

o   Your project relief pitcher is someone who may spend a short time on the project but is able to prevent problems from occurring and is able to give it all they have during their time on the project.

v  Closer – A good closer is a pitcher who can shut the other team down for the last inning thus preserving the win. They usually have great stuff and they work well under pressure.

o   Your project closer is that person who works well under pressure and is able to close out the project for a win. You need to capture that win in your project you need the closer to preserve the win.

What type of pitcher so you want on your project team? Maybe you need one of each. You are the leader you decide how you want this project game played.
 
Start putting your project team together by getting a quality pitcher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...