Skip to main content

Birthday Bash


It has been a busy weekend. Today I spent time at my oldest daughter’s graduation ceremony from William Mitchell Law School. Yesterday we spent time celebrating another daughter’s 11th birthday. Some weekends can be very busy but as long as it is activities that are different from the work week it can make for a relaxing and quick weekend.
Any time you spend time with family it is also a good time and being able to celebrate with family makes it even better. I know most of you don’t have a birthday to celebrate every weekend of the year. On those weekends when you do be sure to make them special for the person you are celebrating for.
In yesterday’s blog I gave you some tips on how to create a less stress in your planning and celebrating the graduation of a loved one. Today I want to give you some essentials to making sure the person has a happy birthday when you are celebrating their birthday.
·         Food – Tray to always serve a cake and meal that is the favorite of the birthday girl/boy. I remember growing up and my mom always made a cake shaped like an animal or something that was fun.
o   Doing this for the person no matter their age will go a long way in making them smile. I remember as an adult having special meals on my birthday. It makes the person feel special.
·         Atmosphere – Home is always the best option for celebrating birthdays. Make sure the house is neat, clean and if it is nice out that outdoor seating is available.
o   If the home is not available depending on whose birthday it is and if it is a special one find that perfect place that you know they will enjoy.
·         Gifts – Have the person give you a list and try to go off the list if you can. I always like a surprise, my wife has been very good about surprising me with items she knows I will like. If you have children have the children make something for that person. You could make something if you have the skills.
·         Guests – Family, always invite the immediate family. It is time to enjoy their company and spend some time getting caught up with them. If it is a child’s birthday you may have a family party and a kid party. If you throw a kid party, only invite the child’s closest friends, not everyone in the classroom.

This is a special day for that person make it special and let them know how special they are by throwing them a great birthday party.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...