Skip to main content

1970s Leadership

After a break yesterday I am going to get back to my series on decade leadership. Today we are going to look at the glorious seventies. I spent my formative years in the seventies and enjoyed that decade. The 1970s became known as the "Me Decade" not because I spent my teenage years in the seventies but because more people moved away from the idea of community and more to the individual.

The Vietnam war ended in the seventies and so did the hippie movement. We saw the resignation of President Nixon under the turmoil of the Watergate cover up. We saw two peaks in a decade long energy crisis which lead to stagflation and the worst economic times since the great depression. We also saw the rise to power of women in certain countries throughout the globe. The Cold War also continued during the seventies.

The seventies also saw the rise of some great innovations. Pocket calculators, the first rudimentary personal computer, video games, the Sony Walkman and the VCR were all part of the innovations of the seventies. Think of how each of these items helped pave the way for more efficient and better products. These were the innovation building blocks for many things we use today.

Let's not forget that during the latter part of the seventies Disco music became popular. In response to this Rock and Roll became a little harder and edgier.

So what are the traits of a 1970s Leader?

A seventies leader is someone who is an innovator. Someone who is on the cutting edge of technology. Someone who leads their company or the world in great ideas and they are able to turn those ideas into product.

A seventies leader is also someone who is concerned more about himself than about others. They are willing to do what it takes to be successful even if it might cost them their leadership. The seventies leader also is able to react to tough times they are able to compensate for an economic downturn by creating cutting edge technology.

Are you a seventies leader? Do you have what it takes to disco your way to the top? Be a seventies leader and start turning your ideas into building blocks for future technology giants.

Thanks to Wikipedia for the picture and the information about the seventies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...