Skip to main content

Second Chance


Baseball is a great game. It is also my favorite game. From baseball we can learn a lot of life lessons. I have been comparing each position in baseball with that of a person you would need for a project team.
As a leader you have been given the task to compile a quality team to work on a project. That team should be well rounded and should represent all areas of the company. In baseball each position requires unique skills and those skills are used to create a great baseball team.  In my comparison I am not concerned with hitting that is over and above the fielding.
Today we are looking at your project team second baseman. A second baseman in baseball must be good at the following items to be a good fielding second baseman. They must be able to turn a double play, they must be able to handle the cutoff and get the ball back in quickly.  They also need to be able to apply a good tag on stolen bases.
How does this apply to you compiling a leadership team?
Your project second baseman must have the following qualities:
  • Turn the double play – Your team player must be able to recognize 2 for 1s. Be able to negotiate those 2 for 1s and turn them quickly into wins for the project team.
  • Handle the cutoff – The project second baseman must be able to handle questions from outside the group and relay them to the group quickly and accurately. You will need that liaison between the project group and the rest of the company.  The second baseman is your person for that role.
  • Apply the tag – Your second baseman must be able to apply the tag. That means when situations get out of control they are able to stop problems from happening. They can apply a quick tag to the issue and be able to move on.
To date you should have a pitcher, catcher, first baseman and now a second baseman. Your project team is shaping up well no seconds in this group each one of them will bring quality skills to your team.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have I Been?

 The title of this article is apropos since I haven't blogged in almost 12 years. I plan to start this blog up again and try to blog on a consistent basis. I will also be broadening the topics that I write about. Be sure to subscribe so you can get notifications about when I post. So what have I been up to since that October day in 2013 when I made my last blog? Let me recap for you. When that post happened I was in the middle of my Toastmaster journey and I'm happy to say that I crossed the Toastmaster finish line by earning my DTM. I didn't continue in Toastmasters after that since I changed jobs and took my leadership skills to Mathnasium and started running a Mathnasium in Blaine MN in 2016. I got the opportunity to blend my education degree with my MBA and use it as the Director of the Mathnasium in Blaine. I also had the opportunity to be the director at one in St Louis Park and one in  Andover. I ran these until 2023 when I decided to go back into the classroom and t...

THUNDEROUS LEADERSHIP

This is a condensed version of a speech I gave. The clap of thunder, the flash of lightening, a storm is coming, are you prepared. Storms occur on a regular basis whether they are weather related or life related we have all encountered a storm at one time or another in our life. The question is “are you prepared and will you survive? In the movie “A Perfect Storm” George Clooney plays a captain of a fishing vessel that gets caught up in the storm of the century. He has to make a quick decision about what to do under the circumstances. He had to react to a situation and make the best decision possible for all parties involved. During these perfect storms of life, decisions like these can be life changing. People get caught off guard during the storms of life because they are either ill prepared or they lack the leadership to make positive life changing decisions. In order to survive these storms in life we must follow strong leaders or be a strong leader ourselves. I am goin...

Canada or Bust

 This week I'm on vacation in northern Minnesota. I want to share some sights and sounds of where I went and what I did. Every summer we go to Wilderness Point Resort in Pequot Lakes. During this time, my son always plans another side trip that he and I take. This year our side trip consisted of a trip to Rainy River in Ontario, Canada, along with several stops along the way. My son collects city halls he takes pictures of them and posts them on a discord server. Our first stop was a visit to the Walker, MN city hall. Along the way to Canada we also stopped and got city hall photos for the following cities: Cass Lake, Black Duck, and Kelliher.  A big highlight was getting out in Shooks and taking a picture at the Royal Shooks Motel. Shooks is an unincorporated community, but at the intersection of highways 1 and 72 is the hotel, conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. In Minnesota and the upper Midwest, there is the legend of Paul Bunyan. We like to visit as many of the...